Friday, December 3, 2010

It Smells Like Fish in Here


I noticed it usually takes about 3 months before you can start to get a grasp for the integrity of the company you work for. I'm about to hit my 3 month mark and the jury's still out. I like the people with whom I work directly, but the Lady Boss/Owner seems to be shadier than I thought. I haven't quite figured her out yet. At first I really liked her (It didn't hurt that she hired me on the spot in my interview- she clearly has good taste). She's one of those ball-buster New Yorker types which I'm into. I like a woman with some fire. She's built quite an empire and it's pretty impressive. I usually never get more than a "Hi" in the mornings before she disappears into her big office to do important boss lady things.

But the other day she pulled Kristan and me into her office. She was pissed off that she spent the "whole weekend" trying to fill a position in the entertainment industry. She was mad and she was looking for someone to blame. She looked at me from behind her massive desk and said "This is ridiculous. Why are we working on paper? Why don't we have a database that can sort our candidates by industry experience?" Um seriously? Why are you asking me? As the executive aren't you the one who makes executive decisions? I'm just the new girl who works in the same fashion I was trained. I'm like a Golden Retriever. Just train me and I'm good to go. Kristan chimed in saying "Well that's a conversation we need to have with James. He really needs to get up to speed." Girl, that's fucked. You don't act all buddy, buddy with someone then throw them under the bus when they're out on vacation.

Now, one week later, things are getting a bit weird around here. There's been a lot of closed-door meetings and clandestine interviews. There are more undercover operations occurring here than at the FBI. Needless to say a quiet panic has ensued. People are gossiping, spying, trying to figure out if this means someone is getting canned. I've learned from my sources that the owner/lady boss is infamous for shady firings/hirings. So am I fearful that I will be fired? Not so much. I assume I'll get fired. Having been laid off twice, I am now an expert at loosing my job. If it happens, it happens. C'est la vie. I make sure to have backup health insurance, a steady savings, and I have the CA unemployment office on speed dial. I'm not saying that fear and paranoia aren't old friends of mine, I just try to think of the worst case scenario.... Sleeping in, free time, and day drinking in my awesome apartment? Where do I sign up?

No comments:

Post a Comment