Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Reality Check

Recently my fiance and I thought it would be fun to spend the evening brainstorming our impending 2013 trip to Indonesia and Australia... we had good wine, good conversation, and even better weed (Dad/future employer, if you're reading this I'm just kidding about the weed thing... and I'm also kidding about leaving indefinitely in 2013. I'm definitely 100% committed to whatever my future job may be). We were feeling loose and giddy with the excitement one can only feel when they talk about embarking on an incredible adventure when it happened. We found it, our dream home in Australia. We plan to rent an apartment when we're in Australia so we can have a home base and plenty of visitors. Take a look and tell me if your panties are still dry at the end of the photo tour (Dad, come to think of it, you really shouldn't be reading this)...





God, I love me some earthy woods. We fell hard and fast. This is our dream. A cute bungalow in Byron Bay, are you kidding me?! So we looked into the pricing... $500/week.... let's call that $2,000/month. So being the fancy college graduates that we are, we came up with a projected amount we can anticipate spending monthly. With all the new foods, new bars, new excitement, we estimate spending $4,000/month. If you'll recall, our total goal for the trip is $20,000. Meaning we could only last 5 months   NOT including airfare and the fact that we don't want to blow through all of our savings so we can, you know, get home, and survive and stuff. So... shit!

Reality has a cruel way of ruining a perfectly good plan.

But don't fret. Luckily we have backup plans to earn more money. First of all, we're getting married next year. Rather than register for teapots and dandelions, we plan to gently exploit all of our family and friends into giving us cold, hard cash. Secondly, I suppose I could technically get a job. Ugh, as in business casual attire, casual Fridays (if you're lucky), timed lunches, forced enthusiasm, cubicles, jammed up photo copiers, and overall feigned merriment. I will, of course, have to lie on my resume and say that I've been working this entire year. I think I just threw up a little.

At the end of the day, it's all worth it. I'm so grateful for my 10 months of unemployment and I'm ready to start kicking some corporate ass all in the name of quitting after a year. Except I have no idea where to start. Anyone hiring? I have a very strong resume... 

No comments:

Post a Comment