Monday, November 14, 2011

A quick comment... on comments



Australia's Surfing Life has been kind enough to indulge my little writing fantasy by posting a few of my articles on their website. You may notice a little hiccup in the comment section where I seem to have disappointed one of my fans. She might not consider herself a 'fan' per se but as a writer I can take the occasional creative liberty. She left the following comment:


If you want to surf with your girlfriend, then get a girlfriend who HAS A SCRAP OF SELF RESPECT AND CONFIDENCE! Not someone who compares her learning curve to a retarded dog. Because girls LOVE surfing. Like me! And lots and lots of other women! (Not just lesbians either!!) Self-confident women love having adventures, especially outdoors.

Wanna surf with your girlfriend? Don't date an insecure little pansy.

Hey Surfing Life Magazine!!!: Please offer paid employment, income, and professional acknowledgement to ACTUAL WOMEN SURFERS who are great writers and experts at their craft! There's a lot of us out there, not just wannabe princesses...

Rather than wasting the time of ASL readers by responding on their website, I have saved my response for this blog (alright so I was told I would seem cooler if I just let it go)... so I'm letting go... by saying this:


Dear Evin,

I couldn’t help but notice that you seem quite upset. Seeing as we seemed to have started a friendly online correspondence I was hoping I could impose a few thoughts upon you…

Surly as a woman of great confidence and, if I may, a woman of the highest composure, you are aware that one need not draw attention to her confidence and self respect because it would be too obvious to do so. I find it much more subtle of a tactic to sleep with as many people as possible until you fill the deep void burning inside you.

As a one-time-bi-curious-when-drunk-abroad female myself, who am I to insult the lesbian population? I was merely pointing out that the homosexual female community tends to have a strong affinity to the outdoors- and they're typically well equipped for any adventure. You seem to identify yourself as a straight woman. To that I say, don't knock it 'til you've tried it, sister. 

And I’m not sure what fuels your aversion to golden retrievers, but I assure you that my dog Goldy was a canine of staggering intelligence and not ‘retarded’ as you have suggested. Admittedly, he did have a fondness for his own feces and he ate his leg until it was raw, but which one of us is perfect at the end of the day?


Xoxo
Surfer's Girlfriend




No comments:

Post a Comment